Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pinewood Derby Car and Ice Skating lessons

Well, in the spirit of updating the blog more than once a month, I'm taking the opportunity to do it while the kids are in their quiet time. Today has been a fun-filled! This morning I took Randy to work on his Pinewood Derby car. This time last year we had an entire woodshop to work with, but with no tools, we were uncertain how we were going to construct it. Luckily someone has an in at the University, and there was a workshop happening this morning. Of course Scott had to work, so it was left up to me to help construct the thing. I was very concerned about this, but Scott told me to just go to this place, and of course some guy would see the poor mother who knows nothing about anything and take over. And you know what? It worked! Luckily Randy and I were the only people there, and the man running the workshop really helped Randy out a lot with the design and cutting. It's amazing that no matter how much a mother tells her eight-year-old something, when another adult tells him the same thing, that eight-year-old takes it as gospel truth. Anyway, Randy is making a dragon car, and it's pretty dang cool!

Right after, I picked Everlee and Tony up from my friend, Mandy's house (Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!) and we dashed over to the rink for their first ice skating lesson. You could tell that it was their second
time ice skating ever, and that all the kids in their classes had at least ice skated a few times before. I was amazed at how well some of the tots were skating in Tony's class! Mostly, though, Tony's class was just working on standing up and sitting down on the ice. His class was only supposed to last for about a 1/2 hour, and that was about right, 'cause by 30 minutes into the lesson, he was sick of falling down on the ice and really just wanted to sit there. His primary mode of movement at that point was on hands and knees, unless one of the coaches were there - but there were about 12 kids and only 2 coaches, and so they were spread pretty thin. Randy and Everlee's skill was basically just walking on the ice, and they were pretty sick of it by the end, too. Hopefully they get better as the lessons continue! We're planning on skating on Monday, and I hope the falling snow doesn't cover up the ice too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment